Helen Sternheim, Director of User Services, UMassK12
These instructions are for UMassk12 dial-up users who have Windows 98 and a web browser installed on their computer
Note, in these instructions, by default click means left click. No right clicking is necessary.
I. Creating a new dial-up connection
1. Start up Windows 98
2. Click on the my computer icon
3. Click on dial-up networking
4. Click on Make a New Connection
5. Give the connection a name such as UMassK12 dialup, and click NEXT
6. Enter the phone number for the connection (545-3384) and click NEXT.
Note this is an Amherst, MA number. Check your phone company to make sure it is not a long distance call. You may or may not have to enter the area code for the phone number depending on where you live (413-545-3384 or 1-413-545-3384 for a long distance call)
7. Enter your username in the username field, enter your password in the password field, and enter your password once again in the, "confirm password" field. Use the username and password given to you for k12s dial-up, your password may be different from your UMassK12 e-mail password. If you wish to use UMassk12 as your default dial-up connection, check the box that says, "Make this the default internet connection." Click NEXT
8. Select the server types tab
9. The Only checkboxes in server types that SHOULD be checked are “Log on to Network,” “Enable software compression,” and for the allowed protocols “TCP/IP,” make sure NetBUI and IPX are UNCHECKED.
10. Click on the TCP/IP Settings tab, Make sure both the IP and DNS are set to be server assigned
11. Click OK to save your settings
12. Now you have setup the connection. To make an icon to dial you can drag and drop it from the dial-up networking window to anywhere on the desktop. You can also start an internet connection by opening a program such as internet explorer and it will prompt you for which connection to use and you can select the UMassK12 dialup connection you just created.
You have now successfully configured your connection to the UMassK12 dial-up ISP!
II. Connecting to the internet
1. To connect to the internet go to my computer from the desktop, dialup networking, and click on the connection you just made above. You can also make an icon on your desktop or bring up the connection dialog by starting a web browser. Once the connection process is finished, you will see an icon with 2 monitors/computers in the taskbar on the bottom right of the screen (near where it tells you the time). Once you are connected to the internet, you can open a web browser such as Internet Explorer, check your e-mail using a mail client, or use any other internet application. Depending on your preferred internet application or browser settings, the connection screen might pop-up when you are offline and attempt to open the internet application.
2. You can click on the connection taskbar icon mentioned above to disconnect or view connection data.
III. Sending and receiving email
If you already have your e-mail program configured, you do NOT need to change anything! The e-mail configuration on our server and your e-mail password has NOT changed.
The easiest way to send and receive mail on UMassK12 is through our web-based e-mail client. You can login to it from main page at: http://www.umassk12.net/
Our web based e-mail client has features such as spam filtering that you can enable, virus scanning, an address book, spell checker, a built in calendar, the ability to setup vacation auto-response messages, and a feature that saves your mail as you type it so you can restore the message if the browser gets closed or crashes. Our web-mail also provides you with a secure and encrypted connection for sending and receiving mail, and you can connect to it from any location on the internet. For more detailed instructions on configuring our web-mail client, go to: http://www.umassk12.net/dan/mailhowto.htm
You can also read and send e-mail with Outlook, Outlook Express, Eudora, or any other e-mail program once it is configured .You will need this information:
- Your POP3 server is umassk12.net
- Your SMTP server is also umassk12.net
The details will vary for the program. For example, in Outlook Express, you may be asked to select or add an identity when you start the program. If not, click on File, Identities, and either Add a New Identity or Manage Identities and you will get the screens that require the data above. You will probably also be asked for your name, e.g., Jane Jones.