STEM Ed Announcement: The_Science_of_Craft

This is a UMass STEM Ed program
===============================

February 19

Justin Fermann

Professor, Chemistry, UMass

"The Science of Craft"

Learning scientific principles and skills needed to understand and
master the crafts of blacksmithing, ceramics, brewing, and
glassblowing." I'd like to talk about what motivated the development
of a GenEd curriculum that was such a radical departure from what is
traditionally offered in Chemistry, the design work we did leading up
to the first offering of the class, the challenges we faced in
running it, and some ideas from either successes or failures that we
can take away.

STEM seminars are held at 4PM on the first and third Tuesdays of each
month during the academic year in Hasbrouck 138. Everyone is welcome;
no reservations are needed, and there is no charge. Parking is
available in the Campus Center Garage.