STEM Ed Announcement: Evidence_Based_Teaching_in_Undergrad_Courses

This is a UMass STEM Ed program
===============================

The UMass STEM Ed Institute Tuesday Seminar Series presents:

April 2
Linda Slakey
Former Dean, Commonwealth College, Former National Science
Foundation Division
Director

"Moving toward a Culture of Evidence Based Teaching in
Undergraduate Courses"

It seems self-evident that the practice of undergraduate STEM
education should align with what we know about how students learn,
and about the activities that draw students in and support
persistence for all, but that is not the case now.  Rather, in
spite of a strong research base establishing the importance of
student-centered pedagogy, lecture as a dominant mode of
instruction still prevails widely as the cultural norm in
undergraduate instruction. My current work is aimed toward building
a community of funders, national organizations, and practitioners
committed to catalyzing cultural and systemic change toward
alignment of cultural norms and practices with the research on
learning, and knowledgeable about likely strategies for success.
In my talk I will provide an update on major national activities in
progress to implement STEM reform, and to expand our knowledge
about how to bring about widespread and lasting change.

STEM seminars are held at 4PM on the first and third Tuesdays of
each month during the academic year in Hasbrouck 138. Everyone is
welcome; no reservations are needed, and there is no charge. Parking is
available in the Campus Center Garage