STEM Ed Announcement: Science/Engineering Saturday Seminars

This is a UMass STEM Ed program
 ==============================

 Online seminar registration and payment:
 http://umassk12.net/sess/spring2016.html

 ===============================

 Science & Engineering Saturday Seminars    Spring, 2016

 Designed for science, math, technology teachers; new teachers are
 especially welcome

 "	Five Saturdays each term; 8:30-1 at UMass Amherst, Lederle Grad
 Towers 1033 (except as noted)
 "	Educational materials, refreshments, parking, PDP's included
 "	Advance registration is required; capacity is limited
 "	Register for as many sessions as you wish
 "	Cost: Up to Dec. 1, early bird rate, $30 per session, $120 for
         all 5 sessions; after Dec. 1, $35 for one, $140 for all 5
 "	4 PDP's per half day session; option for 3 grad credits at
         reduced cost with extra work and attendance at all sessions

 January 23. Strategies for Teaching Atomic Structure and Quantum
 Mechanics. Mike Thompson, Chemistry, Amherst Regional High School. The
 structure of the atom is one of the most fundamental concepts in all of
 science and also, in my experience, one of the most difficult to teach
 at an introductory level.  In this seminar, we will explore ways to
 introduce the basic principles of atomic structure and quantum
 mechanics to upper elementary, middle, and high school students through
 demonstrations, lab activities, computer simulations, and analogies.
 Topics will include: a brief history of atomic structure, the Bohr
 model of the atom, the wave/particle duality, Heisenberg's Uncertainty
 Principle, wave functions and orbitals, and electron configurations.
 We'll also look at some important applications of quantum mechanics,
 including Neon lights, fluorescence, lasers, spectroscopy, and chemical
 bonding.

 January 30. Transportation Engineering. Mike Knodler, Civil and
 Environmental Engineering. Transportation, commonly defined as the safe
 and efficient movement of people and goods, has a daily impact on
 everyone. As part of the seminar learn the basics of transportation
 engineering, including concepts related to building roadways, timing
 traffic signals, and planning for new transportation facilities.  The
 class will be hands-on and include several activities to bring back to
 your classroom.

 February 27. Pollen Biology. Alice Y. Cheung, Hen-ming Wu, Biochemistry
 and Molecular Biology. Pollen is a specialized cell type in plants
 whose function is to deliver sperm to the female for fertilization.
 Therefore pollen is important for seed formation and essential for
 agriculture, ecology as well as the economy. It is also an excellent
 system for studying many fundamental biological processes, including
 genetics, cell-cell communication and cell growth. Pollen grains and
 pollen tube growth are also visually fascinating to observe. Much of
 the methodology is readily transferable from the research laboratory to
 the teaching laboratory at all levels. In this workshop, we shall
 introduce pollen biology in a short lecture and have experimental
 set-ups for participants to explore during the session. In addition, we
 will provide a protocol packet and some essential experimental
 materials for participants to facilitate their adopting some of the
 experiments to their classrooms.

 April 2. Invasive Plant Species: Coming to an ecosystem near you!
 Robin Harrington, Biology, Turners Falls HS. Invasive species are a
 threat to biodiversity worldwide, including in local habitats.
 Understanding of the process of invasion is the first step preventing
 further spread. Invasive species can be brought into the science
 curriculum in a number of places: plant growth and reproduction,
 dispersal, and even as a component of global change. Many students are
 aware of invasive plants in their neighborhoods or communities. We will
 focus on the characteristics of invasive plant species and their
 ecological and economic impacts. We will explore online resources and
 ideas for student research on invasive species and end with a walk on
 campus to identify local invasive plant species.

 April 9. Mapping Nest Success in Migratory Birds. Dan Bisaccio,
 Director of Science Education, Brown University. Students craft
 artificial nests and eggs (and you will too!) of migratory birds and
 investigate the impact of forest fragmentation on nesting success.
 Locations of the nests are then mapped using GPS and nest disturbance
 analyzed. Through this hands-on field exercise students learn about
 global habitat connections and conservation issues for migratory birds.
 Students as researchers may then share their data with other students
 around the country using HabitatNet.  Learn how to visualize nest
 disturbance data using maps while creating a nest and eggs to take home
 with you.

 April 30. Weather Makeup if needed.

 May 7. Recall for those registered for graduate credits. ** Hasbrouck
 Lab **

 Graduate credit option: There is a charge of $300 for 3 graduate
 credits plus a $45 registration fee; register for Nat Sci 697A (Cont
 ed) or 697 F (University). This is in addition to the $120 STEM
 Education Institute fee. Teachers may obtain credit for the seminar as
 many terms as they wish, but only 3 credits may be applied to UMass
 Amherst degrees. A lesson plan and a book report will be required for
 those enrolled for graduate credit. We will have Continuing Education
 registration forms at the first seminar.

 Questions: Mort Sternheim, mort@umassk12.net, 413-545-1908,
 www.umassk12.net/sess

 Online seminar registration and payment:
 www.umassk12.net/sess/spring2016.html. Required for everyone
 whether or not they are registering for graduate credit.