[Stemed-l] 2016 Modeling Workshops

From: Wendy Hehemann <wendyhehemann@gmail.com>
Sent: May 19, 2016 8:04:15 PM EDT
To: Wendy Hehemann <wendy@modelinginstruction.org>
Subject: 2016 Modeling Workshops

Dear science education community,

As the Outreach coordinator of the American Modeling™ Teachers Association (AMTA) I would like to share the information below with you and I hope you will be able to share it within your community. If you are not the correct contact person, please provide me with the proper contact information to avoid unnecessary emails.

Modeling InstructionTM, under development since 1990 under the leadership of David Hestenes (Emeritus Professor of Physics, Arizona State University), is an instructional approach that corrects many weaknesses of the traditional lecture-demonstration method of teaching, including fragmentation of knowledge, student passivity, and persistence of naive beliefs about the physical world. Unlike the traditional lecture-lab-discussion approach to teaching science, in which students must wade through an endless stream of seemingly unrelated topics, Modeling Instruction organizes course content around a small number of scientific models, thus making the course coherent. Modeling Instruction is a pedagogy that effectively embodies and enacts the NGSS Science & Engineering Practices.

Modeling Workshops™ to train teachers in the use of the Modeling Method of Instruction have been hosted at Arizona State University for more than 2 decades. When ASU’s NSF funding expired in 2005, a group of dedicated Modelers assumed responsibility for sustaining and disseminating Modeling Instruction by founding the American Modeling Teachers Association (AMTA). This organization provides a thriving virtual community for modeling teachers, and coordinate Modeling WorkshopsTM and curates and extensive library of Modeling curriculum resources. In 2015, 60 Modeling Workshops, in physics, chemistry, biology, physical science and middle school science served over 1,000 teachers.

This summer, Modeling Workshops™ will be held in Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Iowa, Louisiana,  Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Michigan, New York, North and South Carolina, Ohio and Texas. The different workshops are offered for physics (mechanics, E&M, CASTLE, chemistry, biology, physical science and for middle school.

The full list of Modeling Workshops™ is attached.

Sincerely,

Wendy

Wendy Hehemann

American Modeling Teachers Association

Modeling Workshop and Outreach Coordinator

wendy@modelinginstruction.org   gheheman@asu.edu

480-854-4764

www.modelinginstruction.org