STEM Ed Announcement: Earth and Space Science Summer Institute

This is a UMass Amherst STEM Ed program
 Amherst

 "	Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday morning, August 6 - 8, 2013
          at U Mass Amherst
 "	9:00 to 3:30 Tuesday and Wednesday, and 9:00 to 12:00 on
          Thursday
 "	$150 stipend and materials provided to each teacher
 "	Free PDPs (no graduate credit)

 Earth and Space Science will develop an understanding of planetary
 accretion and evolution and the place of the Earth in the solar
 system.

 "	Making a planet: From elements to dust to planetesimals
 "	Why there are volcanoes
 "	What shapes the crusts of planets; what do we see in NASA
          photos?
 "	Comparative planetology using maps
 "	What is the lifetime of a planet?

 Along the way we will cover pertinent topics in mathematics,
 including:

 "	Units and converting units
 "	Scale and dimensional analysis
 "	Scientific notation and significant figures

 Application process: Teachers should prepare:
 "	a one-page narrative statement of how they intend to use the
          information in their classroom;
 "	a recent resume
 "	a letter of support from their school principal or
          superintendent.

 These three items should be emailed as pdf documents to Dr. Lindy
 Elkins-Tanton at ltelkins@dtm.ciw.edu.

 Applications are due by April 1, 2013. Late applications will be
 accepted if there is space.

 For more information, contact Dr. Lindy Elkins-Tanton, Carnegie
 Institution for Science, Washington DC: ltelkins@dtm.ciw.edu.