STEM Ed Announcement: Volunteers Needed for Source to Sea Cleanup

This is not a UMass program.
 Contact information is below.
 ==================================

 Volunteers Needed for Source to Sea Cleanup this SATURDAY!
 (Please forward, post, and share! ALL welcome!)

 Saturday, September 27; 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 or 2:00 p.m.

 Great Falls Discovery Center, 2 Avenue A, Turners Falls

 Lots of sites have been identified for cleaning in our local area. Now we
 just need more volunteers! One special opportunity is riding in a USF&W
 boat to Third Island to collect debris. Please call or email to register
 so we can be sure to save you a donut! 413-659-3714,
 beth.pelton@gdfsuezna.com. You can also find us on Facebook:
 https://www.facebook.com/SourceToSeaCleanUpGillMontague?ref=hl Your
 efforts will be part of a watershed-wide Source to Sea Cleanup event
 organized by the Connecticut River Watershed Council - so many local
 cleanup groups will combine to make a regional impact.

 The following will be helpful (but not all required) during the Cleanup:
 Comfortable clothing that they do not mind getting wet or dirty. (Due to
 poison ivy along the river, long pants and sleeves are recommended.)
  Closed-toed boots or sturdy shoes -- most groups stay dry (Third Island
 Volunteers - Work or hiking boots that come above the ankle are
 preferred.
 Ideally waterproof or boots that can get wet.)
  Sunglasses, a hat with a visor, and sunscreen are recommended for sun
 protection, raincoat and boots are recommended for wet weather.

  A full water bottle

  Lunch - if you plan to stay past 12 noon (donuts, cider and whoopee
 pies
 provided)

  Old plastic buckets for collecting broken glass that you would be
 willing to leave behind.
  A shovel for digging out partially buried items
  A rope to help pulling items uphill
  A first aid kit if desired. Band-aids and wipes will be provided.
  A spirit of adventure!

 Sincerely,

 The 2014 Gill-Montague Cleanup Committee Members:
 Deborah Bazer

 Beth Bazler, FirstLight Power

 Laurel Carpenter, US Fish and Wildlife Service

 Amy Donovan, Franklin County Solid Waste Management District

 Kate Emond, MA Department of Conservation & Recreation

 Paul Grzybowski, MA Department of Conservation & Recreation

 Beth Pelton, FirstLight Power

 Ray Purington

 Chris Tobey

 Jacqueline Talbot & Angela Mrozinski, Connecticut River Watershed Council

 Directions to Great Falls Discovery Center:

 2 Avenue A, Turners Falls, MA 01376

 (413) 863-3221

 >From the North, South or West:

          Take Route 91 to Route 2 east (exit 27). Continue on Route 2 to
 the second traffic light and turn right.  Cross the bridge onto Avenue A
 in Turners Falls.

          Discovery Center is first building on right

          For Parking take first right onto 2nd Street and then first
 right into parking lot.

 >From the East:

          Take Route 2 west past State Boat Ramp in Gill. Turn left at
 first traffic light.  Cross the bridge onto Avenue A.

          Discovery Center is first building on right.

          For Parking take first right onto 2nd Street and then first
 right into parking lot.

 Can't make it on Saturday?

 These 2 upcoming events need Recycling Volunteers: I've listed shift
 times, but if anyone wants to help out at other times or for less time,
 I'm sure it would be fine; they just need the help!

 1. Conway Festival of the Hills, Sun. Oct. 5: www.festivalofthehills.com

 Shift times are 9am-11am, 11am-1pm, 1-3pm, 3-5pm. Coordinator: Mary
 McClintock: mcclinto@verizon.net, 413-369-0117, 413-522-5932 (cell).

 2. Turners Falls PumpkinFest, Sat. Oct. 18: www.facebook.com/pumpkinfest

 Shift times are: 12-2, 2-6 and 6-10, with a generous shift break in the
 middle.  Coordinator Chris Tobey: cell 413-522-2807,
 kit4172001@yahoo.com.

 Thank you!

 Amy

 Amy Donovan
 Program Director, Franklin County Solid Waste Management District
 Member, Springfield MRF Advisory Board

 Recycling Director, Franklin County Fair

 50 Miles Street, Greenfield, MA 01301
 (413) 772-2438, Fax: (413) 772-3786
 amy@franklincountywastedistrict.org
 www.franklincountywastedistrict.org