STEM Ed Announcement: Museum Institute for Teaching Science PD

This is not a UMass program.

 Museum Institute for Teaching Science Professional Development Series

 Higgins University Center, Clark University Worcester, MA
 January 22, February 26, March 19 & April 7

 The Professional Development Seminar Series is designed for staff,
 volunteers and other professionals from science, environmental, natural
 history, technology, art, history and other cultural institutions and
 centers in New England. Each seminar is a full-day session. The
 mornings are spent exploring STEM content areas with scientists and
 policy makers. Afternoon sessions are skill-based, focusing on turning
 real-life science into exciting, inquiry-based, minds-on, hands-on
 lessons and activities for your programs with K-12 students and
 teachers and other youth programs.
 Cost: The registration fee for participants is $40 per session
 (includes lunch).
 Discounted fees of $90 are offered for attending three sessions or $120
 for attending all four sessions.
 For more information contact: MITS at 617-328-1515 or 1354 Hancock St.,
 Suite 302, Quincy, MA 02169
 Or register online at www.mits.org.

 Thursday, January 22nd 9:30 a.m. -3: 30 p.m.
 Butterflies, Caterpillars and Phenology:  Community Ecology through
 Citizen Science

 Dr. Colleen Hitchcock, Assistant Professor of Ecology, Brandeis
 University

 What is the current state of butterflies and caterpillars in
 Massachusetts? How can we deepen our understanding of these amazing
 insects through citizen science in ecological inquiry? Join Dr. Colleen
 Hitchcock as she orients us to some of the amazing research being done
 around butterflies as they relate to climate change, community ecology
 and citizen science. We.ll hear about the latest research trends on
 butterflies and phenology as well as explore ways that institutions can
 get involved in research projects. Find out how doing your own research
 can engage your audience and spur their interest in science!
 More than Show and Tell:  Artifacts and Biofacts in Inquiry
 Amy O.Donnell, Cumberland High School, Cumberland, RI
 How can we use artifacts and biofacts as pathways to project-based
 learning and to enhanced inquiry-based investigations? Nature centers,
 zoos, aquariums and museums are filled with collections of artifacts
 and biofacts, but are sometimes at a loss for how to effectively use
 these materials to simulate authentic inquiry. Join Amy O.Donnell as we
 explore the myriad pathways through which we can use objects as a
 springboard for inquiry and project-based learning. Examine artifacts,
 ask questions and investigate novel ways to use artifacts and biofacts.
 Learn how to put project-based learning into your programming for
 students and teachers. We.ll discuss how these investigations can be
 shared with teachers as tools for meeting the MA Science,
 Technology/Engineering Standards and the Next Generation Science
 Standards.

 Thursday, February 26th 9:30 a.m. - 3: 30 p.m.
 3 Websites and 2 Small Pieces of Glass =1 Easy Introduction to
 Astronomy

 J. Kelly Beatty, Senior Contributing Editor, Sky and Telescope, Faculty
 Astronomer, Dexter Southfield, Brookline, MA

 Many educators shy away from teaching basic astronomy because they.re
 intimidated by the subject matter. But it.s easy to make some sense of
 what.s overhead, to understand the Moon.s phases and to know which end
 of a telescope to point up. Sit back and let Kelly Beatty take you on a
 trip around the Sun and out to the stars! This introduction to
 telescopes and the night sky will offer simple inquiry-based, hands-on
 investigations as well as background on two .hot topics. in astronomy:
 Pluto.s .demotion. to a dwarf planet and the search for planets beyond
 our solar system. We.ll explore how you can make astronomy come alive
 in your school programs to assist teachers with meeting science and
 technology standards. Learn how to make the night sky a classroom and
 bring astronomy to earth!

 Making Science Accessible through Inquiry

 Dr. Susan Rauchwerk, Associate Professor, Lesley University

 How can common, inexpensive materials be used effectively to uncover
 scientific phenomena, structures, relationships and processes? Eggs,
 seeds, water, flowers, mirrors, rocks, leaves, shells, balls, potatoes,
 batteries and bulbs, the moon . objects we see and interact with every
 day embody complex scientific concepts. Join us as we consider what it
 means to explore content using critical exploration, a teaching
 research method developed by Eleanor Duckworth that places the learner
 and the learner.s ideas at the center of the teaching. How can what we
 say, do, ask, offer, suggest and wonder provide a framework for how to
 structure hands-on inquiry that inspires learning with breadth and
 depth? Encounter materials and methods that help you challenge the ways
 you think about teaching and learning, and about how we teach science
 and science education.

 Thursday, March 19th 9:30 a.m. - 3: 30 p.m.

 Creating Exciting Programs and Exhibits to Develop Environmental
 Literacy: Connecting National Environmental Education Standards, NGSS
 and the Revised MA Science, Technology and Engineering Standards

 Bora Simmons, Director, National Project for Excellence in
 Environmental Education
 Sandra Ryack-Bell, Executive Director, Museum Institute for Teaching
 Science (MITS)

 We live in a society and a world that expects that our future
 generations to be capable of making sound environmental decisions.
 Students and employers are demanding that the education sector take
 action to build a vision, tools, and capabilities for a sustainable
 future. This challenge brings new opportunities for educators to
 contribute to teaching and learning that shapes an environmentally
 literate citizenry. The National Science Teacher Association (NSTA)
 states that nurturing environmental literacy should be a part of the
 school curriculum because student knowledge of environmental concepts
 establishes a foundation for their future understandings and actions as
 citizens, and thus it is an essential component of a comprehensive
 science education program.
 Using the Guidelines for Environmental Education, we will explore how
 you can effectively incorporate environmental education into
 inquiry-based programs and materials that bridge connections between
 these EE Guidelines, the MA Environmental Literacy Plan and the MA
 Science, Technology and Engineering Standards. The EE Guidelines are a
 series of documents that include publications for designing
 environmental education programs, materials, early childhood programs,
 and for the preparation and professional development of environmental
 educators. We will explore, and you will take home, the K-12 Guidelines
 for Learning, the EE Materials Guidelines and the Non-formal Program
 Guidelines.
 Come participate in activities that will help you develop effective
 inquiry-based EE programs to incorporate into your school, camp or
 after-school programs.

 Tuesday, April 7th 9:30 a.m. -3: 30 p.m.
 Changes in Bird Populations in Massachusetts and Opportunities for
 Educators

 Joan Walsh, Director of Bird Monitoring, Mass Audubon

 Many informal science institutions incorporate information about birds
 into their programs, but do we really understand what is currently
 happening to our local bird populations in Massachusetts? Join Joan
 Walsh, Mass Audubon.s Director of Bird Monitoring as we investigate how
 we can use birds as pathways to teach STEM. We will look at some of the
 new research behind our understanding of the population changes in the
 birds of Massachusetts and the impacts of human activities and climate
 change on their habitats. We will also discuss how educators can use
 this information in programs and exhibits as well as facilitate how
 their visitors, including students and teachers, can contribute to
 ongoing citizen monitoring projects.

 For the Birds: Investigating Engaging Experiences to Use in Your
 Programs

 Rachel Stronach, Executive Director, and Liz Moniz,
 Education Director, Lloyd Center for the Environment, S. Dartmouth, MA

 What does inquiry look like in action? How can you engage students and
 teachers with inquiry investigations that can be used right in their
 schoolyard but connect to global issues? Discover how to use birds to
 engage students in science using hands-on, inquiry-based
 investigations. Birds are easily accessible animals that can be used to
 inspire a student.s curiosity in the natural world, leading to a deeper
 understanding of more complex concepts in science. We will use the
 Massachusetts Science and Technology/Engineering Standards as we
 explore elements of science and engineering design inspired by the
 study of birds. If you want to find investigations that you can
 incorporate into your on-site, professional development or traveling
 school programs don.t miss this afternoon!