STEM Ed Announcement: Cosmic Connections for Physics Students

This is not a UMass Amherst program.

 Dear Colleagues,

 I am pleased to inform you that Professor Tulika Bose from Boston
 University's Physics Department is offering a unique opportunity for
 you and your physics students to learn about the exciting research
 taking place at the Large Hadron Collider in CERN Switzerland where she
 conducts research. COSMIC CONNECTIONS@BU will be offered the week of
 March 2nd and will be able to accommodate a different class each day of
 the week. It is recommended for high school juniors or seniors enrolled
 in physics classes.

 Cosmic Connections will offer students the opportunity to learn about
 some of the cutting edge experiments taking place at the LHC and
 scientists' quest to uncover the mysteries of the universe and how it
 began.  During the program students will receive background information
 about particle physics, learn how to view various particle collisions
 and identify the mass and charge of particles, and see how important
 the conservation of energy and momentum are. In addition, they will get
 an insider's look into a control room at one of the LHC experiments and
 be able to ask questions of scientists who are involved firsthand in
 the experiments.

 The program will be offered on each of five days. Each day will start
 at 9:00 am, conclude at approximately 12:00 pm, and be followed by a
 pizza lunch.  Each program can accommodate up to 24 students, and when
 possible, we will combine smaller groups from different schools.  The
 labs are offered free of charge and slots will be assigned on a
 first-come, first-served basis. If you are interested in bringing a
 group of students to Boston University for this program, please apply
 for a slot (one group per school please) at the following link:
 www.bu.edu/lernet/cosmic/reg.html.

 Pending availability, we will contact you to confirm a date for your
 visit.   Should you have any questions about the program, or encounter
 any problem with online registration, please contact me at cab@bu.edu
 or (617)-353-7021.

 best regards,
 cynthia brossman