STEM Ed Announcement: Through My Window: Engaging Children in Engineering

The UMass STEM Ed Institute Presents: Tuesday STEM Seminars

 March 24

 *** Note room change to Hasbrouck 113 ***

 Beth McGinnis Cavanaugh, Principal Investigator, Through My Window,
 Springfield Technical Community College; Isabel Huff, Outreach
 Coordinator; Dave Hart, OIT, UMass

 Through My Window:  Engaging Children and Young Teens in Engineering
 Through Narrative

 Through My Window is a multimedia learning environment in which middle
 school-aged children interact and identify with engineering through
 narrative.  Funded by the National Science Foundation, the project has
 been thoughtfully designed by learning experts from Smith College and
 Springfield Technical Community College with the goals of engaging
 learners with engineering ideas, improving attitudes toward engineering,
 and providing a deeper understanding of what engineering is about.
 Members of the project team will describe the idea-centered instructional
 design of the Through My Window learning  environment, focusing on the
 project's full-length young adult STEM mystery novel "Talk to Me", an
 online learning adventure in artificial intelligence (AI) called "Rio's
 Brain", and preliminary evidence about what students are learning.

 STEM seminars are held at 4PM on the first and third Tuesdays of each
 month during the academic year in Hasbrouck 113. Everyone is welcome; no
 reservations are needed, and there is no charge. Parking is available in
 the Campus Center Garage

 --
 Marie Silver
 Program Manager