STEM Ed Announcement: A Natural Approach to Chemistry

This is not a UMass program.

 A Natural Approach to Chemistry

 Amherst Regional High School
 April 16th, 3:30-5:30

 Making a Chemistry class accessible does not mean making it less
 rigorous or easy. Shifting the approach to allow students to learn
 chemistry by doing chemistry creates space for student driven
 curiosity, natural engagement, and appropriately challenging curriculum
 with deep conceptual understanding.

 Join Dr. Deborah Carlisle UMASS Amherst and Lab-Aids as we take an
 afternoon to explore how to make lessons more accessible, relevant, and
 engaging for all student levels. Our workshop offers you the
 opportunity to consider these guiding questions:

 1) We distill water to purify it, or so we think. So why does the clear
 distillate from apple cider smell like apples? Join us and find out!
 Using a clever test-tube distillation apparatus, distill the essence of
 vanilla and the scent of mint and we'll even show you how to make
 brandy from wine! Distillation is a crucial process in chemical
 engineering and technology, yet few students ever get to explore the
 process.

 2) Drinking water can contain up to 1.3 parts per million (ppm) of
 copper and still be considered safe. What does parts per million mean?
 How do we teach a complex idea such as parts per million, so that high
 school students can learn and understand it? We will use a
 user-friendly spectrophotometer to explore how light interacts with
 dyes to gain understanding of the techniques and skills used by
 scientists to monitor our environment.

 Participants will walk away with two elegant, intuitive, and
 well-differentiated lessons that allow students of all levels to do
 chemistry in your classroom.

 No fee; afterschool snacks provided. Follow the link to register by
 April 9th: http://goo.gl/forms/yZcYTKB4Hu