STEM Ed Announcement: APRIL SCHOOL VACATION PROGRAMS

This is not a UMass program.

 Wachusett Division of Water Supply Protection
 department of Conservation and Recreation

 APRIL SCHOOL VACATION PROGRAMS

 All Programs are free and open to the public.  An adult must accompany
 children.

 Programs will be held at Stillwater Farm on 228 Redemption Rock Rd.,
 Sterling, MA.

 For more information call Jim Lafley at (508) 792-7423 x 231 or email
 at Jim.Lafley@state.ma.us

 Tuesday
 April 21, 2015
 WONDERS OF THE WATERSHED, 10 AM  12 PM
 Join our education staff to learn about watersheds by building a model
 and making it rain in the sample watershed.  Then we will follow the
 travels of the water in the Wachusett Reservoir Watershed, using maps,
 to see how the water gets from Stillwater Farm to the Wachusett
 Reservoir and then on to Boston or the Atlantic Ocean.
 	After studying the watershed we will then take a brief hike and
 see the actual Wachusett Reservoir Watershed in action.

 Wednesday
 April 22, 2015
 STREAM STUDY, 10 AM  12 PM
  We can use both chemistry and biology to determine the water quality
 of a stream.  The Stillwater River supplies water to the Wachusett
 Reservoir.  We will take water samples of the river to test them to see
 what they tell us about the acidity, oxygen, and other features of the
 water using chemistry.  Then we will capture the live creatures of the
 river to come to a decision on the quality of the rivers water.

 Thursday
 April 23, 2015
 VERNAL POOL EXPLORATION, 10 AM  12 PM
 After learning some of the fascinating facts about vernal pools, those
 temporary bodies of water used by special animals, we will take our
 sampling equipment and explore a couple of these interesting habitats.
 	Searching for amphibians, reptiles, insects & other
 invertebrates in this special place can be exciting.  We will also look
 for tracks and signs that other animals and possible predators use
 these pools.