STEM Ed Announcement: Through My Window: Engaging Youth in Careers in Engineering!

This is a UMass Amherst program

 Join us for our next TechTalks event - Through My Window: Engaging
 Youth in Careers in Engineering!

 On Wednesday, July 22, 2015, join Alyson Gill, Associate Provost for
 Instructional Innovation, Dave Hart, Director of Center for Educational
 Software Development (CESD), Matthew Mattingly, Asst. Director of Web
 Development & Multimedia, and members of the development team, as they
 present on the importance of exposing students to Science, Technology,
 Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) fields at a young age. The talk
 will focus on one of the many success stories currently taking place at
 UMass Amherst and in the surrounding communities, Through My Window, an
 adventure game for middle school students.

 The event will take place from 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. in the
 Integrative Learning Center, Room 140.

 Register today: http://www.it.umass.edu/registration-through-my-window

 ****************
 Event Description
 UMass Amherst IT's Center for Educational Software Development (CESD)
 is collaborating with Smith College and Springfield Technical Community
 College (STCC) faculty and students to create an online adventure game,
 with stories and activities intended to attract middle school students,
 especially girls, to careers in Engineering. Currently, the
 Drupal-based website features an eBook version of an original novel,
 "Talk to Me," and the first of a series of interactive Learning
 Adventures, "Rio's Brain," which explores the field of Artificial
 Intelligence. Learning Adventures combine graphic novels,
 interactivity, animation, video, games, and a shared journal, to engage
 and challenge students.

 Through My Window is primarily intended for use in after school
 programs and other education settings. However, you can use it as an
 individual as well. You can read the eBook without logging in, but you
 will need to create an account to do the Rio's Brain Learning
 Adventure. For more information, see: http://throughmywindow.org/

 Through My Window is funded by a National Science Foundation (NSF)
 Informal Science Education grant. It is in the early stages of adoption
 and is being used by various programs, including the Bridgeport, CT
 school system and the Girls Inc. Eureka! program here at UMass Amherst.

 We hope to see you there!

 Allison J. Koss
 IT Communications
 Information Technology
 Lederle Graduate Research Center Lowrise A221
 University of Massachusetts Amherst
 740 North Pleasant Street
 Amherst, MA  01003-9306
 413-577-0045  | allison.koss@umass.edu