STEM Ed Announcement: SciTech Cafe, Oct 26: Navigating a Toxic Environment

This is a UMass Amherst program.
 Contact information is below.
 ==================================

 Is our chemical environment safe? Do we know? What can we do to protect
 ourselves?  Prof. Sasha Suvorov from UMass will guide us as we explore
 the world of flame-retardant chemicals.

 *New location*  This month's event will be held at the High Horse
 * Brewery at 24 North Pleasant Street. We have the entire upstairs reserved
 * for our event starting at 5pm and you will be able to order food
 * during our event.  We will provide limited snacks, which will be
 * available shortly before we begin at 6pm.

 Please help us advertise (and please come!), forwarding the
 announcement below to any who may be interested.   All are very much
 welcome (kids, college students, your parents).  You'll learn something
 if you come.  And you might win a prize!  Please check out our website
 with videos of some past events, www.scitechcafe.org  and like us on
 Facebook! .
 Hope to see you there!
 Kathy

 SciTech Cafe is pleased to present the monthly discussion series: A
 scientist walks into a bar...and lights a proverbial fire under
 flame-retardant chemicals

 Monday, October 26th
 6pm
 The High Horse, Amherst MA

 How to Navigate Environments with Toxins

 How do we know what is safe?
 When is a disease in a lab animal relevant to humans?
 Why do we care about toxicity in snails?
 What are we learning about the health impacts of flame-retardant
 materials?

 Sasha Suvorov is an assistant professor of environmental health
 sciences at UMass, Amherst. His research interests lie in the study of
 toxicity of environmental endocrine disruptors in mammals. He is
 particularly focused on understanding some of the negative effects
 caused by developmental exposure to endocrine disruptors found in
 flame-retardant materials.

 Please bring a friend and join us as we enjoy light appetizers, lively
 conversations, prizes and brilliant minds. This is an inclusive,
 family-friendly event and people of all walks of life are invited.

 Admission is FREE, but donations are appreciated.

 Upcoming SciTech Cafe events:

 December 7th: "Better than Edison: Bringing Light to the World through
 LEDs" with Professor Evelyn Hu

 January 25th: "Foundations of Quantum Mechanics" with Professor Bill
 Wooters

 February 22nd: "Cosmic Inflation" with Professor Gary Felder

 March 28th: "Can Plants make Cancer Drugs?" with Professor Sue Roberts

 April 25th: "Statistics of Baseball" with Professor Ben Baumer

 June 6th: Topic TBD,  Professor Heather Pon-Barry