STEM Ed Announcement: SciTech Cafe - Bringing Light to the World through LEDs

This is a UMass Amherst program.

 SciTech Cafe

 NOTE NEW LOCATION!

 Did you notice that we had red LEDs long before blue and white LEDs?

 Why was the "B" in "RGB" color so hard to achieve with LEDs?

 Why was the 2014 Nobel Prize in Physics given for this invention?

 Come learn about the science behind the technology you are already
 using to efficiently light up your world.

 Please help us advertise (and please come!), forwarding the
 announcement below to any who may be interested.   All are very much
 welcome (kids, college students, your parents).  You'll learn something
 if you come.  And you might win a prize!  Please check out our website
 with videos of some past events, www.scitechcafe.org  and like us on
 Facebook!.  Please note our new location, Union Station in Northampton
 (yes, there is ample parking for all!).

 Hope to see you there!

 Kathy

 SciTech Cafe is pleased to present the monthly discussion series: A
 scientist walks into a bar...and an (LED) light bulb went off in her
 head.

 Monday, December 7th
 6pm
 Union Station, Northampton

 Better than Edison:

 Bringing Light to the World through LEDs

 ?*What is light? And how do we see color?
 ?*How can we create light without heat?
 ?*What is a light-emitting diode?
 ?*How do we make an LED?
 ?What can an LED do that earlier incandescent lighting could not?
 ?*What is an Organic-LED?

 Evelyn L. Hu is the Gordon McKay Professor of Applied Physics and
 Electrical Engineering at Harvard University. Her research explores new
 possibilities of optical and electronic behavior within materials that
 have been carefully sculpted, modulated and modified at the nanoscale.

 Please bring a friend and join us as we enjoy light appetizers, lively
 conversations, prizes and brilliant minds. This is an inclusive,
 family-friendly event and people of all walks of life are invited.

 Admission is FREE!

 Upcoming SciTech Cafe events:
 January 25th: "Foundations of Quantum Mechanics" with Professor Bill
 Wooters

 February 22nd: "Cosmic Inflation" with Professor Gary Felder

 March 28th: "Can Plants make Cancer Drugs?" with Professor Sue Roberts

 April 25th: "Sabermetrics" with Professor Ben Baumer

 June 6th: Topic TBD,  Professor Heather Pon-Barry