STEM Ed Announcement: Student outcomes improve in a flipped class -- how that happens and who benefits

The UMass STEM Ed Institute Presents: Tuesday STEM Seminars

 "Student outcomes improve in a flipped class -- how that happens and who benefits"

 Hasbrouck, Room 138

 February 2, 2016

 David Gross
 University of Massachusetts, Amherst

 Active-learning environments such as those found in a flipped classroom are
 known to increase student performance, although how these gains are realized
 is less well understood. I examine how students attained improved learning
 outcomes, as measured by exam scores, when the course was converted to a
 more active flipped format. I found that exam performance significantly
 improves by nearly 12% in the flipped-format course, due in part to students
 interacting with course material in a more timely and accurate manner. These
 positive effects were most pronounced for students with lower grade point
 averages and for female students.

 STEM seminars are held at 4PM on the first and third Tuesdays of each
 month during the academic year in Hasbrouck 138. Everyone is welcome; no
 reservations are needed, and there is no charge.

 --
 Holly Hargraves
 Program Manager