[Stemed-l] [Fwd: [scitechcafe-a] SciTech Cafe, March 28: Cancer Fighting Plants]

Subject: [scitechcafe-a] SciTech Cafe, March 28: Cancer Fighting Plants
From:    "Kathy Aidala" <kaidala@mtholyoke.edu>
Date:    Mon, March 21, 2016 11:29 pm
To: xxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx

Dear plants:
How do we love thee? Let us count the ways.
We love thee and your perfume and your sight,
the air you give makes all our lungs delight,
and your might -- might put cancer in its place.

Can we borrow common plants' defense systems to help protect us from
cancer? Please join us as Professor Susan Roberts shares her research and
gives us yet another thing to love about plants!

Please help us advertise (and please come!), forwarding the announcement
below to any who may be interested.   All are very much welcome (kids,
college students, your parents).  You'll learn something if you come.  And
you might win a prize!  Please check out our website with videos of some
past events, www.scitechcafe.org  <http://www.scitechcafe.org/> and like us
on Facebook! <http://www.facebook.com/SciTechCafe>.  *Please note our new
location, Union Station in Northampton (yes, there is ample parking for
all!).*

Hope to see you there!

Kathy

SciTech Cafe is pleased to present the monthly discussion series: A
scientist walks into a bar...and "taps" a plant to make drugs.

Monday, March 28th
6pm
*Union Station, Northampton *
*Engineering plant defenses to fight cancer*

*How do plants protect themselves from attack in nature?
**How can we exploit plants to supply anticancer agents?*
**What is plant cell culture and why is it a good means of drug supply?*
**Why is a chemical engineer interested in the study of plants?*

Professor Susan Roberts <https://www.wpi.edu/academics/facultydir/scr.html>
is the chemical engineering department <https://www.wpi.edu/academics/che>
head at Worcester Polytechnic Institute <https://www.wpi.edu/>, where her
research focuses on understanding the fundamental complexities in
specialized metabolism and development of renewable, engineered plant cell
culture systems to synthesize valuable clinical and industrial molecules.
Please bring a friend and join us as we enjoy light appetizers, lively
conversations, prizes and brilliant minds. This is an
inclusive, family-friendly event and people of all walks of life are
invited. *Admission is FREE!*

*Upcoming SciTech Cafe events:*

   - *April 25th*: "Baseball Analytics" with Professor Ben Baumer
   - *June 6th*: "Why doesn't Siri understand me?"  Professor Heather
   Pon-Barry

Helen Sternheim
STEM ED UMass
229 Hasbrouck Labs
413.545.1908
Amherst, MA 01003

Dear plants:
How do we love thee? Let us count the ways.
We love thee and your perfume and your sight,
the! air you give makes all our lungs delight,
and your might -- might put cancer in its place.
Can we borrow common plants' defense systems to help protect us from cancer? Please join us as Professor Susan Roberts shares her research and gives us yet another thing to love about plants!

Please help us advertise (and please come!), forwarding the announcement below to any who may be interested.   All are very much welcome (kids, college students, your parents).  You'll learn something if you come.  And you might win a prize!  Please check out our website with videos of some past events, www.scitechcafe.org  and like us on Facebook!.  Please note our new location, Union Station in Northampton (yes, there is ample parking for all!).

Hope to see you there!

Kathy

SciTech Cafe is pleased to present the monthly discussion series: A scientist walks into a bar...and "taps" a plant to make drugs.

Monday, March 28th
6pm
Union Station, Northampton

Engineering plant defenses to fight cancer
*How do plants protect themselves from attack in nature?
*How can we exploit plants to supply anticancer agents?
! *What is plant cell culture and why is it a good means of drug supply?
*Why is a chemical engineer interested in the study of plants?

Professor Susan Roberts is the chemical engineering department head at Worcester Polytechnic Institute, where her research focuses on understanding the fundamental complexities in specialized metabolism and development of renewable, engineered plant cell culture systems to synthesize valuable clinical and industrial molecules.