[Stemed-l] ] SciTech Cafe, April 25: Baseball Analytics]

It is springtime in the valley, and our thoughts drift towards picnics,
hiking, biking, and baseball!  Whether you are a life-long fan of our
nation's pastime, curious how statisticians have changed professional
sports, or want to impress your friends with newfound knowledge, Ben
Baumer's
talk "Moneyball Revisited: Sabermetrics Today", is bound to make your
spring more interesting.

Please help us advertise (and please come!), forwarding the announcement
below to any who may be interested.   All are very much welcome (kids,
college students, your parents).  You'll learn something if you come.
And
you might win a prize!  Please check out our website with videos of some
past events, www.scitechcafe.org  <http://www.scitechcafe.org/> and
like us
on Facebook! <http://www.facebook.com/SciTechCafe>.  *Please note our new
location, Union Station in Northampton (yes, there is ample parking for
all!).*

Hope to see you there!

Kathy

SciTech Cafe is pleased to present the monthly discussion series: A
scientist walks into a bar...and follows the data to the World Series.

Monday, April 25th
6pm
*Union Station, Northampton *
*Moneyball Revisited: Sabermetrics Today*

**What is sabermetrics?*

**How is sabermetrics being used by Major League Baseball teams?*

**What are some of the recent innovations in sabermetrics?*

**What are some open questions in sabermetrics?*

Ben Baumer <http://www.math.smith.edu/%7Ebbaumer/>is a professor of
statistics and data sciences at Smith College <http://www.smith.edu>. His
research and teaching is focused on extracting meaning from data. Join us
as he shares another reason to be excited about spring training and
baseball!
Please bring a friend and join us as we enjoy light appetizers, lively
conversations, prizes and brilliant minds. This is an
inclusive, family-friendly event and people of all walks of life are
invited. *Admission is FREE!*

*Upcoming SciTech Cafe events:*

   - *June 6th*: "Why doesn't Siri understand me?",  Professor Heather
   Pon-Barry

It is springtime in the valley, and our thoughts drift towards picnics, hiking, biking, and baseball!  Whether you are a life-long fan of our nation's pastime, curious how statisticians have changed professional sports, or want to impress your friends with newfound knowledge, Ben Baumer's talk "Moneyball Revisited: Sabermetrics Today", is bound to make your spring more interesting.

Please help us advertise (and please come!), forwarding the announcement below to any who may be interested.   All are very much welcome (kids, college students, your parents).  You'll learn ! something if you come.  And you might win a prize!  Please check out our website with videos of some past events, www.scitechcafe.org  and like us on Facebook!.  Please note our new location, Union Station in Northampton (yes, there is ample parking for all!).

Hope to see you there!

Kathy

SciTech!  Cafe is pleased to present the monthly discussion series: A scientist walks into a bar...and follows the data to the World Series.

Monday, April 25th
6pm
Union Station, Northampton

Moneyball Revisited: Sabermetrics Today
*What is sabermetrics?
*How is sabermetrics being used by Major League Baseball teams?
*What are some of the recent innovations in sabermetrics?
*What are some open questions in sabermetrics?

Ben Baumer is a professor of statistics and data sciences at Smith College. His research and teaching is focused on extracting meaning from data. Join us as he shares another reason to be excited about spring training and baseball!