[Stemed-l] [Fwd: Our Changing Forests Summer Institute-Harvard Forest]

Get Your Students OUTSIDE doing REAL SCIENCE in alignment with NGSS
and Current State Science and Math Standards.

Our Changing Forests Summer Institute for Teachers

Thanks to  special grant funding, we are able to invite 10 teachers to
join our ongoing network of New England schools to investigate how our
forests are changing and growing over time.  Students will observe,
measure, and record data in woods near your school, to be shared
online.   Professional scientists and project coach and coordinator
will support teachers throughout the schoolyear.  This is a concrete
way to instill Scientific Practices and Data Literacy into your
curriculum.

When:  Thursday, August 25th and Friday, August 26th , 2016
               Times:  9:00a.m.-3:00p.m.

Where:  Harvard Forest, Petersham Ma.

Who:
You:        Science teachers of grades 7-12.
Us:         The Schoolyard Ecology Program is made up of a team of
Ecologists, Data Manager, Program Coordinator, and a network of Middle
School and High School  Teachers, approximately 200 students.  Our
funders include the National Science Foundation (NSF) and Private
Foundations.

What you get:

o   Scientific project protocol and resources developed and guided by
Harvard Forest Ecologists and Education staff.

o   Special guided talk and walk with Tom Wessels, author of "Reading
the Forested Landscape"-NEW THIS YEAR to the Schoolyard Eco. Summer
Institute.

o   All field materials, teacher notebook  are provided.

o   Project Coach will visit your field site at your school  to help
set up your "schoolyard" field site and answer your school specific
questions.

o   Program coordinator, Ecologists, and Data Manager support teachers
and students throughout the schoolyear as needed.

o   Free optional follow-up professional develop workshops in Winter
of 2016 and Spring 2017.  Teachers delve deeper into working with
project data and implementing science practices.

What you do:

o   Attend 2 day Summer Institute.

o   Lead your grade 7-12 students in a field investigation in walking
distance to your school.  Minimum 2 field visits in Fall, 2016.

o   Submit your field data to our simple online database.

Registration  Deadline:   June 12, 2016

Registration Form:    Changing Forests Summer Institute Reg
Form.pdf<http://harvardforest.fas.harvard.edu/sites/harvardforest.fas.harvard.edu/files/2016%20Summer%20Institute%20Reg%20Form.pdf>

Contact Harvard Forest Schoolyard Ecology Program Coordinator:
psnow@fas.harvard.edu<mailto:psnow@fas.harvard.edu>

Pamela M. Snow
Schoolyard Ecology Coordinator
Harvard Forest
324 N. Main St.
Petersham, MA 01366
psnow@fas.harvard.edu
http://harvardforest.fas.harvard.edu/schoolyard-lter-program

In the end we will conserve only what we love
We will love only what we understand
We will understand only what we have been taught
- Baba Dioum

--
Mort Sternheim
STEM Education Institute