Get Your Students OUTSIDE doing REAL SCIENCE in alignment with NGSS and Current State Science and Math Standards.

Students monitor changes in the length of the growing season by  observing, measuring, and recording the progression of leaf color change and drop on trees in the near your school, to determine the end of this year's growing season this coming autumn, and observe the progression of budburst and leaf emergence in the spring to determine the beginning of next year's growing season.   Data to be shared online with Harvard Forest scientists and a network of over 1,000 students actively participating in this project.

Harvard Forest Schoolyard Coordinator and Project Ecologist, John O'Keefe will support teachers throughout the schoolyear.  This is a concrete way to instill Scientific Practices and Data Literacy into your curriculum.

When:  Thursday, August 18, 2016
               Times:  9:00a.m.-3:00p.m.

Where:  Harvard Forest, Petersham Ma. (Central Mass. near route 2).

Who:

You:        Science teachers of grades 4-12 are invited to participate in this workshop.

Us:         The Schoolyard Ecology Program is made up of a team of
Ecologists, Data Manager, Program Coordinator, and a network of Elementary, Middle School and High School  Teachers, over 2,000 students.  Our funders include the National Science Foundation (NSF) and Private Foundations.

What you get:

o   Scientific project protocol and resources developed and guided by
Harvard Forest Ecologists and Education staff.

o   All field materials, teacher notebook  are provided.

o   Program coordinator, Ecologists, and Data Manager support teachers
and students throughout the schoolyear as needed.

o   Free optional follow-up professional develop workshops in Winter
of 2016 and Spring 2017.  Teachers delve deeper into working with project data and implementing science practices.

What you do:

o   Attend 1 day Summer Institute.

o   Lead your grade 4-12 students in a field investigation in walking
distance to your school.  Minimum 4 field visits in Fall, 2016, and 4 or more visits in Spring, 2017.

o   Submit your field data to our simple online database.

Registration  Deadline:   June 15, 2016

Registration Form:
http://harvardforest.fas.harvard.edu/sites/harvardforest.fas.harvard.edu/files/Buds%20and%20Leaves%20Flyer%20and%20Form-2016.pdf

Contact Harvard Forest Schoolyard Ecology Program Coordinator at:

psnow@fas.harvard.edu

Pamela M. Snow
Schoolyard Ecology Coordinator
Harvard Forest
324 N. Main St.
Petersham, MA 01366
psnow@fas.harvard.edu
http://harvardforest.fas.harvard.edu/schoolyard-lter-program

In the end we will conserve only what we love We will love only what we understand We will understand only what we have been taught
- Baba Dioum

--
Mort Sternheim
STEM Education Institute