[Stemed-l] [Expanded Opportunity to Join the BU HS AP Physics Partnership Program

Dear Educator,

Boston University is looking for additional partner high school sites
to bring a blended AP(r) Physics 1 College Board audited course to
schools that do not offer AP Physics 1 as part of their regular
program of studies.

There is no cost to the student's home school and other than the
College Board AP(r) Physics 1 test registration fee no cost to the
student participant, and, if the school indicates the student has a
financial hardship, the AP(r) Physics 1 reduced test registration fee
will be paid by Boston University.

Boston University (BU) is in the second year of a study to bring AP(r)
Physics 1 to students who would otherwise not have this opportunity at
their home school. Project Accelerate blends together supportive
formal structures from a student's home school, a private online
course designed specifically with the needs of high school students in
mind and small group recitation and laboratory experiences. The format
of the online component is short on "video professor" and long on
engaging students in an interactive environment.

The BU AP(r) Physics 1 Small Private Online Course (SPOC) is an
official College Board audited course, and hence students,
successfully completing the course, are eligible to receive high
school credit for AP(r) Physics 1.

This is a partnership between Boston University, the student and the
student's home school. It is expected that the student's home school
site will enroll a participating student in an independent study AP(r)
Physics 1 course. The school site liaison, a teacher, guidance staff
or building administrator, will receive bi-weekly reports concerning
the participating student's online activity and progress. Students and
the building liaison receive midterm reports and term grades in
accordance with participating school policy. The course runs from
September 2016 through the end of May 2017.

Students completing all project requirements will be provided a $200
project completion stipend, and a small "thank you" gratuity of $200
will be provided to the school site liaison as an expression of
appreciation for supporting and encouraging student participants.

Boston University has just completed the first year of this pilot
partnership program. The first year pilot had 24 students from 4
Boston Public School high schools and 3 Western Massachusetts high
schools that do not offer AP(r) Physics 1 to their students.

We have increased funding for our 2nd pilot year, and we are looking
to enroll approximately 40 students from as many as 10 different high
schools. If you believe this program will support your school goals
and serve your students' interest, kindly email me or give me a call
at my office phone or mobile phone.

Best wishes for a successful end to the school year.

Mark D. Greenman
Project Director
Boston University
Office: 617-358-6729
Mobile: 781-248-4952
Office: greenman@bu.edu<mailto:greenman@bu.edu>

Hi Mort,

I hope all is well with you and your family.

Perhaps you might suggest a mechanism to help us reach out to the many high schools in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, Connecticut and Maine that do not offer AP Physics as part of their regular program of study. We are in the second year of a project, Project Accelerate, that partners Boston University with high schools to provide a free blended course to students who would otherwise not have the opportunity to engage in AP Physics at their home school.

Students in schools local to the BU campus also receive free additional tutoring and hands-on experience using laboratory equipment on the BU campus. We piloted this program with 7 Massachusetts high schools (4 BPS and 3 from Western MA) during the 2015/16 academic year. Twenty-one of our original twenty-four students completed the course.

If you can suggest or help advertise this opportunity for high schools and students, then it would be appreciated.

Best wishes and thank you.

Mark D. Greenman

greenman@bu.edu

Office: 617-358-6729

Cell: 781-248-4952

Dear Educator,

Boston University is looking for additional partner high school sites to bring a blended AP® Physics 1 College Board audited course to schools that do not offer AP Physics 1 as part of their regular program of studies.

There is no cost to the student’s home school and other than the College Board AP® Physics 1 test registration fee no cost to the student participant, and, if the school indicates the student has a financial hardship, the AP® Physics 1 reduced test registration fee will be paid by Boston University.

Boston University (BU) is in the second year of a study to bring AP® Physics 1 to students who would otherwise not have this opportunity at their home school. Project Accelerate blends together supportive formal structures from a student’s home school, a private online course designed specifically with the needs of high school students in mind and small group recitation and laboratory experiences. The format of the online component is short on “video professor” and long on engaging students in an interactive environment.

The BU AP® Physics 1 Small Private Online Course (SPOC) is an official College Board audited course, and hence students, successfully completing the course, are eligible to receive high school credit for AP® Physics 1.

This is a partnership between Boston University, the student and the student’s home school. It is expected that the student’s home school site will enroll a participating student in an independent study AP® Physics 1 course. The school site liaison, a teacher, guidance staff or building administrator, will receive bi-weekly reports concerning the participating student’s online activity and progress. Students and the building liaison receive midterm reports and term grades in accordance with participating school policy. The course runs from September 2016 through the end of May 2017.

Students completing all project requirements will be provided a $200 project completion stipend, and a small “thank you” gratuity of $200 will be provided to the school site liaison as an _expression_ of appreciation for supporting and encouraging student participants.

Boston University has just completed the first year of this pilot partnership program. The first year pilot had 24 students from 4 Boston Public School high schools and 3 Western Massachusetts high schools that do not offer AP® Physics 1 to their students.