Your students serve as citizen scientists by tracking the presence of a tiny insect that is changing the makeup of our local woodlands and regional forests.  Students learn to identify the woolly egg masses of the Hemlock Woolly Adelgid which is changing the face of our forests more and more each day.  Students monitor branches and canopy of  hemlock trees near your school, to help us track the progression of hemlock decline and the regeneration by other tree species. This is a story of rapid change that students can be a part of investigating using a scientific protocol in cooperation with Harvard Forest Ecologist, David Orwig   Data to be shared online with Harvard Forest scientists and a network of over 500 students actively participating in this project.

Harvard Forest Schoolyard Coordinator and Project Ecologist, David  Orwig will

support teachers throughout the schoolyear.  This is a concrete way to instill Scientific Practices and Data Literacy into your curriculum.

When:  Thursday, August 18, 2016
               Times:  9:00a.m.-3:00p.m.

Where:  Harvard Forest, Petersham Ma. (Central Mass. near route 2).

Who:

You:        Science teachers of grades 4-12 are invited to participate in this workshop.

Us:         The Schoolyard Ecology Program is made up of a team of
Ecologists, Data Manager, Program Coordinator, and a network of Elementary, Middle School and High School  Teachers, over 2,000 students.  Our funders include the National Science Foundation (NSF) and Private Foundations.

What you get:

o   Scientific project protocol and resources developed and guided by
Harvard Forest Ecologists and Education staff.

o   All field materials, teacher notebook  are provided.

o   Program coordinator,

Ecologists, and Data Manager support teachers
and students throughout the schoolyear as needed.

o   Free optional follow-up professional develop workshops in Winter
of 2016 and Spring 2017.  Teachers delve deeper into working with project data and implementing science practices.

What you do:

o   Attend 1 day Summer Institute.

o   Lead your grade 4-12 students in a field investigation in walking
distance to your school.  Minimum 1 field visit in Fall, 2016, and 1 or more visits in Winter or Spring, 2017.

o   Submit your field data to our simple online database.

Registration  Deadline:   June 20, 2016

Registration Form:

http://harvardforest.fas.harvard.edu/sites/harvardforest.fas.harvard.edu/files/Woolly%20Bully%20flyer%20and%20form-2016.pdf

Contact Harvard Forest Schoolyard Ecology Program Coordinator at:

psnow@fas.harvard.edu

Pamela M. Snow
Schoolyard Ecology Coordinator
Harvard Forest
324 N. Main St.
Petersham, MA 01366
psnow@fas.harvard.edu
http://harvardforest.fas.harvard.edu/schoolyard-lter-program

In the end we will conserve only what we love We will love only what we understand We will understand only what we have been taught
- Baba Dioum