[Stemed-l] CT Valley Geology Field Trip for K-12 teachers

Gain some Earth Science-focused professional development this summer!
(see attached flyer)

Join us on Saturday, August 6th, to investigate the geological history
of Western Massachusetts.

We will review basic geologic principles, visit key geological points
of interest in the Connecticut River Valley, and explore the beautiful
Beneski Museum of Natural History (Amherst College). The cost of this
trip is $5/vehicle to cover state park entrance fee.

Trip Leaders: Tarin Weiss (Westfield State University) & Steve Winters
(Holyoke Community College)

Space is limited, please RSVP to Tarin Weiss
(tweiss@westfield.ma.edu<mailto:tweiss@westfield.ma.edu>).
Please email Tarin or Steve Winters
(science_matters@yahoo.com<mailto:science_matters@yahoo.com>) with
questions.

Schedule: 8/6 (rain date 8/7)
9:00     Meet at base of Mt. Holyoke, Hadley (At Main Entrance to
DCR?s Skinner State Park; Mountain Rd. & Rt. 47 (caravan to top for
overview of our rift valley)
10:30   Drive to Dinosaur Footprints Res., Trustees of
Reservations,Rt. 5, Holyoke (very short walk to tracks)
11:30   Drive north (Rt. 5) to DCR?s Mount Tom State Reservation
(views, a family-friendly ~ 1 mi. walk up to Goat Peak, and a Lunch
Break) (Note: bring cash, daily parking fee is $5 MA vehicle, $6
non-MA vehicle)
2:00    Head to Beneski Museum, Amherst College (museum exploration
and wrap up - museum closes at 5pm)

Important Information:

  *   ?      Wear comfortable shoes for walking and bring rain gear
just in case.
  *   ?      Field trip ends by 5:00 pm in Amherst, at Beneski Museum
  *   ?      You are expected to spend 2 hours (total) on your own
completing readings and a field trip reflection to complete the 10
hours required for PDPs.
  *   ?      You will be awarded a certificate upon completion to
document participation.
  *   ?      Bring your own lunch/beverage (but we will make a gas
station rest stop on our way to our last stop where food can be
purchased).
  *   ?      Carpooling is encouraged as transportation is not included.
  *   ?      In case of rain the trip will be rescheduled?  Rain date
is Sunday, August 7th.
Sponsored by
National Association of Geology Teachers ? New England Section

Hi Mort - Please post.  Thank you!  Tarin

For K-12 Educators;

Please email Tarin or Steve Winters (science_matters@yahoo.com) with questions.