[Stemed-l] Join Us: Western MA Computer Science Teachers Association (CSTA) Session

CSTA Meeting
June 28, 2016
4-6 pm
Holyoke - Massachusetts Green High Performance Computing Center
100 Bigelow St., Holyoke, MA

Details: Join us for an interactive, fun, idea-driven, people-driven, problem-solving session. Refreshments provided. You do not need to be a current member to attend this session.

Questions? Contact cstawmass@gmail.com
Can’t come, have an idea? Send to cstawmass@gmail.com
The Event: Computer Science Teachers Association- Western Mass. chapter is planning activities for next academic year. Before summer sets in, come share your ideas and join other computer science teachers, IT instructors and all of the other cutting edge educators that are jumping into the world of CS education. Bring your ideas and join this strong network of educators who are making waves in Western Mass.

About Us:  From networking opportunities to free digital materials, the CSTA can address questions about which 3D printer your school should purchase to what curriculum is best suited for a 3rdgrade classroom.

The President’s Call to Action: In January 2016, the President launched the Computer Science for All initiative to empower all students from kindergarten through high school to learn computer science and be equipped with the computational thinking skills they need to be creators in the digital economy, not just consumers, and to be active citizens in our technology-driven world. Our economy is rapidly shifting, and both educators and business leaders are increasingly recognizing that computer science (CS) is a “new basic” skill necessary for economic opportunity and social mobility.

On the Local Front: In Massachusetts, new standards for Digital Literacy and Computer Science in Massachusetts are coming soon.

An Old Quote to Encourage New Attendees: "What would we like our children- the general public of the future—to learn about computer science in schools? We need to do away with the myth that computer science is about computers. Computer science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes, biology is about microscopes or chemistry is about beakers and test tubes. Science is not about tools, it is about how we use them and what we find out when we do.” (Micheal R. Fellows, Ian Parberry (1993) "SIGACT trying to get children excited about CS". in: Computing Research News. January 1993.)

Sarah T. Dunton, M.Ed.
Expanding Computing Education Pathways (ECEP) Alliance Manager
College of Information and Computer Sciences
University of Massachusetts Amherst
140 Governor’s Drive
Amherst, MA 01003
(P) 413-577-0393