[Stemed-l] Opportunity to use SCIENCE PRACTICES in outdoor project at your schoolyard

Harvard Forest is pleased to offer teachers 2 Summer Institutes for Teachers this August

Get Your Students OUTSIDE doing REAL SCIENCE in alignment with NGSS and Current State Science and Math Standards.

1.   August 18th-One Day Summer Institute for teachers in grades 4-12 beginning either the BUDS, LEAVES, AND GLOBAL WARMING project or the WOOLLY BULLY AND THE HEMLOCK TREES project.

2.  August 25th and 26th-Two Day Summer Institute for teachers in grades 7-12 for the OUR CHANGING FORESTS PROJECT. Special guest, author, Tom Wessels will be leading a talk and field walk during the Aug. 26th session.  Teachers beginning this project will have access to a project coach to help set up field site at  your school.

In all 3 projects, students will monitor trees in their schoolyard using a scientific protocol for a project led by professional Ecologists at Harvard Forest, an ecological research institution affiliated with Harvard University. Students learn scientific practices such as observation, classification, scientific modeling, data representation and analysis.    Data to be shared online with Harvard Forest scientists and a network of over 1,000 students actively participating in this project.

Harvard Forest Schoolyard Coordinator, Project Ecologists, and Data Manager will

support teachers throughout the schoolyear.  This is a concrete way to instill Scientific Practices and Data Literacy into your curriculum.

Where:  Harvard Forest, Petersham Ma. (Central Mass. near route 2).

Us:         The Schoolyard Ecology Program is made up of a team of
Ecologists, Data Manager, Program Coordinator, and a network of Elementary, Middle School and High School  Teachers, over 2,000 students.  Our funders include the National Science Foundation (NSF) and Private Foundations.

What you get:

o   Scientific project protocol and resources developed and guided by
Harvard Forest Ecologists and Education staff.

o   All field materials, teacher notebook  are provided.

o   Program coordinator,

Ecologists, and Data Manager support teachers
and students throughout the schoolyear as needed.

o   Free optional follow-up professional develop workshops in Winter
of 2016 and Spring 2017.  Teachers delve deeper into working with project data and implementing science practices.

What you do:

o   Attend 1 day Summer Institute.

o   Lead your grade 4-12 students in a field investigation in walking
distance to your school.  Minimum 4 field visits in Fall, 2016, and 4 or more visits in Spring, 2017.

o   Submit your field data to our simple online database.

Registration  Deadline:   June 30, 2016 or when filled.

Registration Fee:  $50

Registration Form :
http://harvardforest.fas.harvard.edu/sites/harvardforest.fas.harvard.edu/files/Buds%20and%20Leaves%20Flyer%20and%20Form-2016.pdf

Contact Harvard Forest Schoolyard Ecology Program Coordinator at:

psnow@fas.harvard.edu

Pamela M. Snow
Schoolyard Ecology Coordinator
Harvard Forest
324 N. Main St.
Petersham, MA 01366
psnow@fas.harvard.edu
http://harvardforest.fas.harvard.edu/schoolyard-lter-program

In the end we will conserve only what we love We will love only what we understand We will understand only what we have been taught
- Baba Dioum

Pamela M. Snow

Schoolyard Ecology Coordinator

Harvard Forest