[Stemed-l] Geek Is Glam STEM Expo Opportunity-Won't You Join Us?

Hello.

My name is Tammy Breen and I am the Assistant Manager for Program and Community Development with the Girl Scouts of Central and Western Massachusetts.  I wanted to share with you an exciting event we are once again partnering with Worcester Polytechnic Institute to host at WPI.

On Saturday, October 15, 2016 our STEM GIG (Geek IS Glam) event will take place. This is a day-long program exposing girls to hands-on interactive workshops, career panel discussions, demonstrations and an open expo for girls in grades 4th-8th. Last year, 500 girls participated in the GIG and our goal this year is to bring this great opportunity to 500-600 girls!

I am writing to invite you to participate in our event.  As you know, the STEM fields are rapidly growing, and unfortunately, our target grade levels of 4th-8th is right where girls start losing interest in these fields.  Our council is a STEM Advocacy Council and as such, one of our top priorities is bringing opportunities to girls to experience STEM and we are determined to advocate and advance girls and women in the STEM-related fields.

What are girls saying about STEM? The Girl Scout Research Institute has delivered these key findings:

·         Girls are overwhelmingly interested in STEM!

·         Girls interested in STEM are higher achievers, better students, and have stronger support systems.

·         STEM girls set higher goals for themselves and have philanthropic motivations.

·         STEM girls are significantly more inclined to grapple with adversity and overcome obstacles than non-STEM girls.

·         97% say whatever boys can do, girls can do. However, 57% of girls say that if they went into a STEM career, they’d have to work harder than a man just to be taken seriously.

By studying what’s important to girls and applying that knowledge to our programming, Girl Scouts is making a positive difference in the lives of girls and our communities.  Doesn’t this sound like something you’d like to be involved in?

We’d love to have you participate in our STEM GIG event on October 15, 2016.  Do you have employees or students that could deliver a great hands-on interactive workshop? Would your company or school like to put on a demonstration of the great work you do? Would you like to reserve a table at our Expo? Do you have donations you would be willing to make? Can’t pick just one? Don’t!  We’d love to have you participate in any or all of these opportunities.

Please take a moment to send me an email letting me know you’re interested in being involved at TBreen@gscwm.org. I have attached a copy of our GIG Participation Form to this email; please return it at your earliest convenience. Our promotion of the event and those already on board has already begun and we want you to be enjoy as much publicity as possible! The event goes live for registration in August and we need all submissions by the end of July. Again, the sooner we receive your form, the more YOU will be seen!

We can make a difference not only in the way girls view and participate in STEM, together, we can make a positive difference in the world!

I look forward to hearing back from you soon!

Sincerely,

Tammy

Tammy Breen

Assistant Manager for Program Development

Girl Scouts of Central and Western Massachusetts
81 Gold Star Boulevard, Worcester, MA 01606
Phone: 800-462-9100 (in MA) or 413-584-2602 x3608

Fax: 413-536-1383

www.gscwm.org

tbreen@gscwm.org

Forget the box, just think outside! Current Girl Scout or not, we’ve got a memorable summer camp experience for your girl.

facebookTwitter linkedin Pintrest ig-badge-24 cid:image007.png@01CEE138.06C5D650

Important Notice: This transmission, together with any attachments, is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you have received this transmission in error, please contact our office immediately and destroy or delete hard copies, electronic copies, and any accompanying information or attachments.