[Stemed-l] 2016-2017 Distinguished Faculty Lecture Series

From: UMass External Relations & University Events <erue@admin.umass.edu>
Sent: September 28, 2016 4:54:55 PM EDT
To: massmail-l@umass.edu
Subject: 2016-2017 Distinguished Faculty Lecture Series

The University of Massachusetts Amherst is pleased to announce the 2016-2017 Distinguished Faculty Lecture Series. The lecture series not only honors individual faculty members and their achievements, but it also celebrates the values of academic excellence that we as a community share.

All lectures begin at 4 p.m. in the Bernie Dallas Room, Goodell Building and are free and open to the public. A reception immediately follows each lecture.

This year's lecturers, who will each be presented with the Chancellor's Medal at the conclusion of their talk, are:

Donald Fisher, Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering

Tuesday, October 18, 2016: “The Eyes Have It: A Window into the Mind”

Duncan Irschick, Department of Biology

Tuesday, December 6, 2016: “Animal Attraction: Bioinspiration and Life in 3-D”

 David Reckhow, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering

Wednesday, February 8, 2017: “Drinking Water in Crisis: Lead, Lignin, and Legionella

Nilanjana Dasgupta, Department of Psychological & Brain Sciences

Monday, March 6, 2017: “STEMing the Tide: How Female Professors and Peers Can Encourage Young Women in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics”

Christian Appy, Department of History

Tuesday, April 4, 2017:
“The Atomic Origins of America’s National Security State: How Nuclear Weapons Produced an Imperial Presidency and Degraded Democracy”

For more information about these lectures, please visit http://www.umass.edu/faculty-lecture or contact the Office of External Relations and University Events at 413-577-1101 or email events@umass.edu.