[Stemed-l] Fwd: Renewable Energy talks in Amherst

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Martha Hanner" <mhanner@astro.umass.edu>
Date: Nov 25, 2016 10:09 PM
Subject: Renewable Energy talks in Amherst
To: <mmsternheim@gmail.com>

Two public talks on renewable energy may be of interest to STEM educators:

                          LIGHTING  OUR  FUTURE

    Many of us want renewable energy, but how do we get there from here?
    What infrastructure will be required and how will it be paid for?
    Solutions are not easy and hard choices will have to be made.

    The Amherst League of Women Voters is sponsoring two public talks
    to explore how we move towards renewable sources for electricity
    generation in Massachusetts:

       Tuesday, November 29, 7 - 8:30 PM,  Woodbury Room, Jones Library

       Keeping the Lights On: What is our Energy Future?
                Anne C. George, Vice President, ISO New England

         ISO New England is charged with maintaining and operating the
     electric grid system in the 6-state New England region. The talk
     will describe the mix of energy sources that provide our electricity
     24 hours a day and what will be needed to transition to more
     relance on renewable energy.

              The Future of Wind Energy in Massachusetts

       Tuesday, December 6,  7 - 8:30 PM, Bangs Community Center, Amherst
                    James Manwell, UMass

         Prof. Manwell researches advances in technology for wind energy
      and is the Director of the UMass Wind Energy Center.  He will discuss
      the potential for wind energy in New England, particularly offshore wind
      energy, and the technological developments that will make it possible.