[Stemed-l] [Fwd: {Disarmed} NE CSC Webinar on Wednesday, Nov. 30: Radley Horton on the Projected Expansion of the Southern Pine Beetle]

-------------------------- Original Message --------------------------
Subject:  NE CSC Webinar on Wednesday, Nov. 30:  Radley Horton on the
Projected Expansion of the Southern Pine Beetle
From:    "Northeast Climate Science Center" <necsc@umass.edu>
Date:    Mon, November 28, 2016 3:03 pm
To: xxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx

***THIS WEEK***  Wednesday, November 30, 3:30pm EST

Projected expansion of the Southern Pine Beetle into northern forests?

Our speaker this week is Radley Horton <http://bit.ly/2bSxRau>,  NE
CSC Principal Investigator.  He will present his talk, â??Projected
expansion of the Southern Pine Beetle into northern forestsâ?? from
Columbia University.  Join us in room 134 in the Morrill Science
Center on the UMass Amherst campus, or to join the webinar online,
visit:
https://necsc.umass.edu/webinars/projected-expansion-southern-pine-beetle-northern-forests
<http://bit.ly/2cvXfGM>

Abstract: In coming decades, warmer winters are likely to allow
cold-sensitive forest insects to move into new areas. Recently, the
southern pine beetle (SPB, Dendroctonus frontalis) has become
established in New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, and Massachusetts as
very cold days have become rarer. In this study, we project continued
expansion in climates hospitable to this major forest pest through
2090. Our results show that by the middle of the 21st century, the
climate is likely to be suitable for SPB expansion into vast areas of
previously unaffected forests throughout the northeastern United
States and into southeastern Canada. This scenario would pose a
significant economic and ecological risk to the affected regions,
including disruption of ecosystem functions, shifts in forest
structure, and threats to native biodiversity. Our projected timeline
of SPB expansion will help forestry managers plan for this impact of
climate change.

Radley Horton is an associate research scientist at the Center for
Climate Systems Research at Columbia University. His research focuses
on extreme weather events, the limitations of climate models, and
adaptation to climate change. He currently teaches in Columbia
University's Sustainable Development department.

Northeast Climate Science Center

necsc.umass.edu <https://necsc.umass.edu/>

University of Massachusetts - Amherst

College of Menominee Nation

Columbia University

Marine Biological Laboratory

University of Missouri - Columbia

University of Minnesota

University of Wisconsin - Madison

Mort Sternheim
NOTE PREFERRED EMAIL: mmsternheim@gmail.com
STEM Education Institute
229 Hasbrouck Labs
UMass
Amherst, MA 01003
area code 413
545 1908, fax 545 3697

***THIS WEEK***  Wednesday, November 30, 3:30pm EST

“Projected expansion of the Southern Pine Beetle into northern forests”

Our speaker this week is Radley Horton,  NE CSC Principal Investigator.  He will present his talk, “Projected expansion of the Southern Pine Beetle into northern forests” from Columbia University.  Join us in room 134 in the Morrill Science Center on the UMass Amherst campus, or to join the webinar online, visit: MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt from "bit.ly" claiming to be https://necsc.umass.edu/webinars/projected-expansion-southern-pine-beetle-northern-forests

[...]

You are on this list because you have expressed an interest in the! activities of the Northeast Climate Science Center or have been recommended by a member of the NECSC Consortium.  This list will be used to announce events and news associated with the NECSC.

To unsubscribe, respond to this email.